KSU’s Supplemental Instruction program trains, coaches, and supervises approximately 130 student SI Leaders on the Kennesaw and Marietta campuses. SI Leaders facilitate free weekly study sessions for students enrolled in historically difficult courses. SI Leaders are successful students who help their peers master difficult content through effective study strategies such as comparing notes, discussing readings, predicting test questions, organizing course materials, managing time, testing recall, and managing time and priorities.
SI Leader Qualifications:
- Enrolled in at least six credit hours at Kennesaw State University
- Have completed the SI course with an A in a previous semester
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher
- Possess excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Able to provide a faculty recommendation
SI Leader Responsibilities:
- Attend and participate both days of mandatory New SI Leader training.
- Attend all class meetings for the assigned SI course and read assigned materials.
- Plan and facilitate two to three SI study sessions per week throughout the semester.
- Promote SI sessions during class.
- Track attendance at all SI sessions.
- Meet with course professor on a regular basis.
- Meet with SI mentors and coordinators, as scheduled.
- Ensure that surveys, assessments, and reports are distributed, collected, and/or completed.
- Role model effective behavior of successful students.
- Maintain a professional attitude at all times.
- Commit to working approximately 10 hours per week throughout the semester.
Typical SI Work Week:
- Attend lecture = 3 hours
- Facilitate SI sessions = 3 hours
- Plan and prepare for SI sessions = 2 hours
- Participate in SI meetings and trainings (one-on-one meetings, mentor meetings, trainings, etc.) = 2 hours
SI leaders earn $10 per hour
Our Spring 2022 SI Leader application will open in October 2021!