Freshmen Pre-Orientation Advising
Your first semester of college is starting soon and you already know it is going to be a big change from high school. As a Undeclared student, what can you start doing now to feel prepared for orientation and your first day of classes? Attending a Pre-Orientation Advising Appointment with an Owl Advisor is a great first step!
Keep reading below for more information on what to expect in your advising session and resources to help you make the most of your first semester!
What will I learn about in my Pre-Orientation Advising Session?
During this one-on-one appointment, you will meet with an academic advisor in Owl Advising to:
- Become familiar with all KSU has to offer!
- Learn about General Education requirements, and decide what courses are best for you to take during your first semester at KSU as an undeclared or focus area student.
- Introduce you to DegreeWorks, Owl Express, and other KSU systems.
- Discuss your next steps to take to best prepare you for your orientation
Can a Pre-Orientation Advising Session replace going to Ignition (orientation)?
No! This advisement is a supplement to attending your Ignition session. We unfortunately do not have the time to cover all that will happen at Ignition. You should plan to attend a Pre-Orientation session prior to attending Ignition.
If you attended Ignition without coming to a Pre-Orientation appointment, that is okay! We are still here to help you if you have questions that were not answered, or need a little extra help with selecting your classes. Just schedule a general appointment to chat with us!
What if I already know what I want to major in?
We are so happy you have already decided what you would like to study! Our pre-orientation advising is designed for students who are truly undecided, so for students like you we recommend scheduling an advising session with your major advisor.
You can easily schedule your appointment online by visiting advising.kennesaw.edu!
Can I schedule an appointment?Be checking your KSU Email account in the months leading up to your orientation. If you are listed as an Undeclared or in a Focus Area student, you will receive an invitation to come in for advising.
Resources to Download
Your advisor will provide you with a number of these informational handouts in your advising session, but we also recommend downloading them yourself to keep on hand for reference.
New Student Advising Guide
Quick Academic Handouts
- General Education Worksheet (Academic Year 2022-2023)
- What classes can I take in my first year if I am in a Focus Area?
- How to Register for Classes
- Office of the Registrar: Registration Guide
Student Support Resources
Housing, Dining, and Student Life Handouts
New Student FAQs
How do I schedule an advising appointment?
You can visit advising.kennesaw.edu to schedule online! Log-in using DUO. We are here all year long, so schedule an appointment when you need one!
Who is my advisor?
Check out advising.kennesaw.edu for a complete list of advising offices and contact information.
Where can I see my degree requirements?
Where can I buy or rent my textbooks?
The University Stores on both campuses will be your one-stop shop for all your required course materials. You can also purchase official KSU gear and everyday essentials and supplies!
- Check out bookstore.kennesaw.edu for more information
Am I required to have a dining plan?
On-campus residents will receive a meal plan as part of their room and board each semester. Commuter students and those staying in non-KSU housing are not required to purchase a plan, but have the option to do so in Owl Express.
What is the difference between entry swipes and Dining Dollars?
Entry swipes allow you access to the Commons Dining Hall on Kennesaw Campus and Stingers Dining Hall on the Marietta campus. Dining dollars act as a debit account you can use at any of our other on-campus eateries.
Housing and Residence Life
What kinds of housing options are available?
KSU offers housing on both Kennesaw and Marietta campuses with housing options based on class level.
What things should I bring with me to Move-In?
Who is my financial aid counselor?
Every student has an assigned counselor they can contact via email for questions about their financial aid and records.
Where can I find out more information on scholarships or grants?
Parking and Transportation
How can I get around on and off campus without a car?
Take the B.O.B. (Big Owl Bus)! This free shuttle picks up and drops off on both campuses, as well as approved off-campus housing and shopping. You can download the LiveTracker app at bigowlbus.kennesaw.edu
Do I need a permit to park on-campus?
Yes! Find out more information on the pricing and levels of parking permits by visiting the Parking and Transportation website.
How can I join a club or get involved on campus?
Attend events like the Student Involvement Fair during the Week of Welcome and check out owllife.kennesaw.edu for a complete list of organizations and events!
I want to play a sport, but I'm not a student athlete. What can I do?
Join a club or intramural sports team! If you don’t want to play a sport, you can also take
advantage of OwlFit programs and Outdoor Adventures.
- See sportsrec.kennesaw.edu for more information.
How do I get all my accounts set up as a new student?
- Check out the UITS New Students Technology Guide for step-by-step instructions
I am having trouble getting logged into a KSU system (like Owl Express), how do I get help?
UITS has dedicated support staff to assist you with all your technology support needs!
- Call them at 470-578-3555
- Email them at email@example.com
Where can I go to get help with classes?
KSU offers many tutoring options for various subjects. Check out some popular options below:
- SMART Center: Get help with most math and science courses, plus some select social science and engineering courses.
- Writing Center: Get help with proofreading and editing papers.
- Supplemental Instruction: Peer guided study sessions for some of KSU’s most challenging courses.
- A complete list of tutoring services can be found here
Other and Tips for Your First Semester
Who can I talk to if I am feeling overwhelmed or stressed?
Counseling and Psychological Services offers walk-in appointments Monday- Thursday from 10am-4pm on the Kennesaw campus, and 12pm-4pm on the Marietta campus. They offer free psychoeducational workshops, group counseling, individual counseling, and psychiatric medication evaluation and treatment.
- You can visit counseling.kennesaw.edu for more information.
Check your student email every day
- All official communication from KSU will go to this account. Advisors and other staff and faculty cannot write to your personal email account. This is for your privacy and protection.
You can change your schedule during the first week of classes
- The schedule you created at orientation does not have to be what you stick with all semester. Take advantage of Add/Drop week which occurs the first week of classes to add or drop classes to your schedule, or even switch things like class times and professors!
Talk to your professors
- They are here to help you and want you to succeed. Professors are required to offer office hours where you can meet with them to review topics covered in class and ask questions in a one-on-one environment.